Sunday 2 December 2007

What the Dickens

A man in a fake beard, a wig and a period suit sits next to a woman who has been wearing a box on her head and a kimono. An everyday occurrence. They have both shared their performance memory at The Performance Re-enactment Scoiety event. A conversation begins.

I am Charles Dickens. I have come from London to be here today.

I was listening to Dombey and Son on the radio earlier today

What's that?

It's one of your stories. You wrote it Charles.

Well. It's over a hundred and fifty years ago.

I'm really ashamed to say Charles that I've never read any of your books.

I have a copy of The Christmas Carol with me. It's quite short.

Do you want me to read it now.

If you've never read one of my books this is a good one to start with. It's seminal.

I don't know if I can read it now.

Well pick up a copy.

I've read all about you.

My reputation precedes me.

I believe there's even a phrase now - Dickensian. They didn't have that in my lifetime.

No comments: